From 30th March 2012, all Business Pages on Facebook will change to the new Timeline layout. With less than a month to go, there are some major marketing changes coming – changes that all businesses using Facebook Pages for marketing should start working on now.
Major changes? smartinsights.com rated the impact as “10 out of 5” for business pages that use Facebook for marketing.
We’re going to miss:
- Default landing tabs (mass outpouring of grief from web marketers)
- Fan gates for sign ups and promotions (ditto)
- Clear positioning messages on the home page
- Flexibility around links and information on the home page
What’s kinda cool:
- Cover images for businesses (although no promotional info or contact details are allowed here – see Facebook’s FAQ)
- More “About” info displayed in the summary
- Pinned posts (stuck at the top) and starred posts (full page width)
- The actual timeline to track your business’ history
Waiting to see about:
- How apps will be affected – the new design seems to drive functions through apps, but it seems hard for a page owner to promote their use… the jury is still out!
- How Facebook will police the new rules for cover images – no pricing, no contact details, no “Like this” or calls to action.
Did your to-do list just get longer? Don’t worry, you’ve still got a month (almost) to get everything sorted! Remember we’re always free to lend a hand!